Here are some British Castle excerpts from our sister site, Englandexplore.com, which has lots of great info on English castles and more:
- Maiden CastleMaiden Castle is the largest hillfort in England extending 45 acres, and lies about 2 miles to the south of Dorchester town centre. The hillfort was first occupied in around 3000 BC, and contains a complex arrangement of ramparts and ditches.
- Dover Castle: Its History From William The Conqueror To The Modern DayDover Castle is one of the most iconic castles in England. It also has the distinction of being among the oldest; it was originally fortified by William the Conqueror following the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Before it was turned into a fortified castle it was a general stronghold for the Saxon forces. It also … Read More
- Leeds Castle, KentClaiming to be the “loveliest castle in the world”, Leeds Castle in Kent (and, confusingly, nowhere near the city of Leeds in Yorkshire) is one of the most famous castles in England. Appearing in the Domesday Book, Leeds Castle has been a stronghold for the Norman armies, a royal residence, and a royal palace occupied … Read More
- Warwick Castle – Its History & Owners. Plus How To Stay ThereWarwick Castle has been through a lot over the years. A few notable moments include when it was attacked in 1264, the siege of Warwick Castle in 1642, and the fire that tore through the castle in 1871. Despite all of these setbacks, the castle has endured throughout history and still stands today. It was … Read More
- The Best 20 Castles To Visit In EnglandThe best castles in England. Take a look at some of the most monumental castles in England and learn about the rich history of these awe-inspiring structures.